Saturday, February 27, 2010

S2000 Steering Wheel for NSX

I installed an S2000 AP1 Steering Wheel on the NSX last night. It's a bit smaller (330mm I believe) than the stock NA1 but with much thicker grips and overall better contour. I did not connect the SRS, for obvious safety reasons, but I did connect the horn and cruise control.

I used the Science of Speed Short Rapid Hub. Kept the factory steering/cable reel on place.


You will need to jump the outer two wires of the three prong connector. You will also need to jump the #3 and #4 pins in the four prong connector. #3 and #4 are the pins that are farthest apart. Both of these jumpers enables the horn trigger and disables the SRS/Airbag light in the NSX. If you want to use the Cruise Control buttons see further below.

You will also notice here how I mounted/bolted the S2000 AP1 wheel onto the hub. The input spline shaft and the AP1 splines do not mate properly like I was hoping for. Surprisingly the S2k wheel already has 4 pre-drilled holes. I used 4 bolts (8mm head, machine thread. I forget the exact thread pitch and size but I they were easy to find at Home Depot) to secure the wheel onto the hub. It is incredibly solid on there. I wasn't expecting it to mount so well. You will need to relocate the bottom two bolts holes about 2-3mm outward. This is by far the trickiest part of the whole install which makes this mod not a true bolt-on. The bottom bolts don't quite line up with any of the holes on the hub. You will notice that after all this the wheel is centered perfectly with the hub.

Preparing the jumper wires.

If you choose to wire the S2000 AP1 cruise control buttons you will have to follow the wiring below. Notice I had to tap into the 12v (+) pin from the horn trigger in order to provide power to the Cruise Control switches. It is a 12v(+) trigger circuit. This power wire needs to be tapped into the Blue/Red wire on the AP1 cruise control connector. Pin #1 of 4 from the cable reel is the "cruise set" trigger and this needs to be tapped into the Green/Red wire on the S2000 cruise control connector. Pin #2 of 4 is the "cruise accel" trigger and this needs to be tapped into the Green/Blk wire. I tried to find the connectors so this would be a cleaner install (no jumper wires) but I had no luck in my search.


The SoS hub is a nice piece. It provides for just the right depth and distance from the turn signal and the wiper controls. Unfortunately, it's the only thing that makes setup not look OEM.

All done. I'm very very happy with it. One of my best mods on the NSX.


No comments: