Sunday, March 2, 2008

Update - it's about time, eh?

It's been a while since I last updated. Here's a list of what i've done on Project Budget Daily Driver.


Note: Various Pictures of installs here

CPP 11" front disc brake conversion - DONE
Issues: I'm still only 70% happy with them. Stopping power sucks even after several bleeds. I think something is wrong. Stopping feels only 60-70% what I think it should feel. Their kit is a pretty straight forward install but you will have to bend the brake lines a bit - some areas didn't fit quite right.

Grand Cherokee Saginaw Power Steering Swap - DONE
Issues: None. It's pretty awesome bang for the buck.

Transmission 200-4R - DONE
Issues: Have to shift the trans mount bar about 3" back. You only need a drill new mounting holes to get this part done. All else was pretty bolt-in friendly.

Alternator Upgrade to 140 amp Cadillac STS unit from the junkyard (serial: 10463294 321-580 16b4 140 a) - DONE
Issues: Factory bracket canal/channel had to be enlarged. The larger diameter alternator required it. Also had to upgrade to a dual belt pulley since the single pulley was screaming (and slipping) like a dying hyena - just too much torque required to turn that huge alternator. Can you believe the pulley cost me $15 at the local Pick-A-Part just for a pulley? Robbery!!! Also need to bypass the factory external voltage regulator and upgrade the return charge wire. I went with a 8 gauge return and dual 4 gauge ground and main power. I had all sorts of charging issues before I did this.


Instrument Cluster - DONE
Issues: Had to fabricate a dashboard instrument housing out of 1/8" aluminum sheet stock. Surprisingly, I love the cheapy Equus gauges. No major issues, just a lot of fab work and wiring. More pics in the above link if interested.


Electric Radiator Fan from a Ford Taurus (I think it was from a 1991)
Issues: Fit was perfect but minor trimming of fan shroud required. Had to make small brackets as well. I wired it to a 40amp relay via the high wire (comes with High and Low speed trigger wires) and a thermo on-off switch from Kragen. The Summit Racing thermo switch didn't work well at all plus the Kragen unit has a variable thermometer switch. In the high setting it is loud and draws lots of amperage. I'm thinking of trying the low setting. In any event, it is light years better than the fixed fan I had in there before. No problem staying under 190 degress with a very old radiator.

Alarm System - Almost Done, Is Working
Issues: PITA part is that you have to install everything from scratch. I had to rewire my domelight and door trigger. Also had to add door, hood and trunk pin switches. I bought the AutoPage unit with remote paging if the alarm is triggered. Can't pay enough for peace-of-mind I tell you and it works quite well. Need to mount the proximity sensor at some point...and i'm not showing where I hid the brain ;)

Audio Sound System - Almost Done, Is Working
Issues: Well, at least I have music now. The standard kick panels to mount the 6.5" speakers require a VERY shallow speaker. I had to cut out the door support sheet metal behind the kick-panel and weld in supports just to get my Alpine speakers to fit. Also built two subwoofer boxes for 10" JL Audio subwoofers. I put the tweeters behind the kick-panel vent for the stealth look.


Leather Seats from RX-7 3rd Generation - DONE
Issues: You have to fabricate "seat frame risers" and bend the mounting brackets a bit - only the area close to the main bolt holes. The seats don't quite fit the curvature of the floor without the use of risers. I used square tubing. I also dyed the leather using products from Leatherique.com. Very good stuff but expensive. I recommend against using the clearcoat product. It was much softer pre-clearcoating and didn't have the shiny look.


Bilstein Shocks - Rears are done
Issues: The top shock mounts bolts in the rear are a major PITA. That's all I have to say about that. Not difficult.. just a PITA.

So What's Left?
Quite a bit... I have 350 sbc that just got back from the machine shop (I still need heads and a matching cam). I have new wheels coming in. I'm also experimenting with a custom center console from a Chevy Cavalier - perhaps i'll install a handbrake in place of the footbrake. The footbrake gets in the way of the kickpanel speakers. Need Hella H4 headlight conversion. Also lots and lots of suspension upgrades are needed. I'm sure i'm missing a lot of small stuff to do and had to do. Oh, and I need a cupholder!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Attention!

D said...

NICE man finally we see her